Sunday, September 26, 2010

I Miss Wine!

For the most part, I stopped drinking alcohol of any kind before I even knew I was pregnant and it wasn't really a difficult thing to do.  I can honestly say that I didn't really miss drinking... at least until yesterday.  I was standing in Trader Joe's trying to decide which flavor of hummus to purchase when it hit me, I miss wine.  The wine section was just a few steps from where I was standing and my brain involuntarily shifted from what I was actually doing to a mental picture of me taking the first sip of a glass of red wine.  I am not kidding when I say that I could actually smell it!  Believe me, I am not implying that carrying a baby isn't a worthwhile reason not to drink, I'm just saying I miss it is all.   Maybe it is because I grew up in the midst of rich Cajun and Italian cultures, cultures who not only permit drinking at a young age, but sort of embrace it.  Or, maybe it is just because I really love wine.  Either way, I am not interested in any strategies or solutions like non-alcoholic wine to try to fake myself out.  I am just eagerly anticipating the day that I can partake in wine-drinking once again.  Until then, I may need to avoid the wine section of the grocery store.

1 comment:

  1. Allie, you will have plenty of time for wine when the baby becomes a two year old and then later when he or she is a teenager. Then, you will really need it.

    ReplyDelete