Sunday, October 3, 2010

Coconut Anyone?

Who hasn't heard funny stories about pregnant women getting food cravings for all sorts of crazy things?  Pickles and ice cream is an odd combination that I've often heard of, although I don't know if there is any truth to that one.  I have a feeling, that one is just another one of those old wives' tales.  Either way, it is well-known enough that t-shirts have been made and I think there is even a maternity clothing store bearing the name. 

Shortly after we found out that a little bundle of joy was in our future, Brad asked what I thought I'd have cravings for.  We both suspected that I'd crave sweets of some kind because I have always had a tremendous sweet tooth.  At first, I did have a short-lived craving for the chicken lettuce wraps at PF Changs, but the one thing that I still can't seem to get enough of is coconut, fluffy, delicious coconut.  Pre-pregnancy, I could take it or leave it, but these days I seem to want it, or better yet, need it on a daily basis.  My craving is so strong that I have even begun seeking out recipes that use coconut. 

It all started with a coconut cupcake from Kelly Kakes in historic, downtown Roswell.  If you are anywhere in the Roswell area, you should definitely check out Kelly Kakes!  All of the cupcakes are amazing, but my favorite is, of course, the coconut.  There was a 3 or 4 week period earlier on when I had one of those cupcakes every weekend.  However, I soon found myself wanting coconut more and more often, so I had to find other ways to indulge myself.  Since then, we've had coconut gelato, Edy's Creamy Coconut Fruit Bars, home-made coconut cookies, coconut M&Ms, coconut shrimp, virgin pina coladas, and thanks to a suggestion made by a neighbor, coconut cake from Alpine Bakery.  You name it, we've probably had it!  Brad has been really great about helping me find something to satisfy my craving.  While visiting Brad's parents last month, we even made an extra trip to Publix just to find some coconutty goodness.  He did, however, make the mistake of thinking that I wanted an actual coconut, but my craving is more for frozen treats and sweets made with coconut.  I'm sure that one day this craving will subside, much like the lettuce wraps craving did, but until then, I'll be on the search for all things coconut!

2 comments:

  1. Allie, while in Islamorada with my girlfriends, there was a fish salad served in half a coconut. As you would guess, we girls had to break it up and eat it. It's easier than you think. Love, Mary.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! and I don't blame you for staying away from a real coconut. There are enough nuts hanging around you anyway, at least at work.

    ReplyDelete