Sunday, October 24, 2010

We Survived!!!


Brad and I survived creating our baby registry at Babies' R Us!  We went to Babies 'R Us yesterday afternoon around 1:00.  When we arrived, we promised each other that we would leave by 3:00 or before either of us got frustrated, whichever happened first.  We started with all the big stuff, the stuff that I've been researching for weeks and everything was going really well.  I had my list and Brad had the scanner gun and we were on a roll.  We scanned our infant car seat, swing, Pack 'n Play, high chair, diapers, Baby Bjorn, diaper bags (one for each of us), Snap 'n Go, Bumbo, Boppy, and monitor without any trouble at all.  We weren't even derailed when we realized that Babies' R Us doesn't even carry the stroller we want.  We were having fun and feeling pretty confident in our baby registering abilities, probably a little too confident.

Brad Comparing Infant Swings
When we turned onto the next aisle and the next section of our registry checklist, the "infant care" section, everything kind of started to fall apart.  Because I had a really hard time finding any of the answers that I needed about these products before hand, I had a feeling that I was going to be totally overwhelmed and my feeling was certainly correct.  We spent quite a while just walking through this section, confused.  Then we sought the help of a Babies' R Us employee, who was really no help at all, although she did give us some coupons.  Brad kept trying to remind me that the baby isn't even going to realize that there are so many varieties of bottles and nipples, he is just going to be happy to be fed, but I think we thoroughly covered my decision-making process in an earlier blog post, so you can probably imagine that we had arrived at an impasse.  Finally, I just had put on my big-girl panties and make some executive decisions and hope for the best.  Once we finally made it out of the infant care section, we headed over to the nursery and bedding section, but we shortly realized that both our time and our patience had expired.  I was so spent by the time that we got to the clothing section that, even though that probably would have been my favorite part, we didn't even try to register for anything.  Brad did a great job of trying to be supportive and helping me approach things from a logical perspective, but in the end I still ended up in tears.  Decisions not supported by research are not my strong suit.  Thank goodness that it was nothing that a Founder's Favorite in a chocolate-dipped waffle bowl from Cold Stone couldn't fix!!!

Founder's Favorite


Also, New This Week:

1.  Peanut is a Busy-Body! 
The little man moves all day, every day.  I felt him move for the first time on October 9th, but after that his movements were sporadic or I was only feeling them sporadically, but now I feel him all the time.  It is such an incredible feeling to know that there is a little human being growing and stretching in there!  I am amazed and excited every time it happens!  Brad has not been able to feel it yet, but we're hoping he will be able to join in the fun soon!

2.  Bedtime Stories
We read that all of Peanut's senses are now in working order and he can now hear what is going on outside of the womb, so Brad now reads him a bedtime story every night.  It is really adorable!  We get all cuddled up in bed, (except for Hank, he has to cuddle up on the floor) and Brad reads aloud to my belly.  So sweet!

3.  Yoga
I started taking a prenatal yoga class this week.  The class is full of mommies-to-be who are anywhere from 12 weeks to 36 weeks pregnant.  It is designed to help us stretch and strengthen our growing bodies and it is relaxing and wonderful!  I've never taken yoga before, but I already love it!

4.  Touching the Belly
People have started to walk up to me and touch my belly.  These people are very politely asking first, but they are touching nonetheless.  I know that this is a pretty common thing for people to want to do and I'm pretty sure I've even been guilty of doing it to close friends a time or two, but it is really going to take some getting used to.  What makes it seem so strange is that, while I am definitely showing, to me it looks more like I've just eaten a really big meal than it looks like there is a baby in my belly. 

5.  Maternity Photos
After talking to a friend about maternity photos, Brad and I decided that we want to have some taken by a professional photographer, something that we had not even considered before.  I did a little research this weekend and we found several photographers in the area who have taken some beautiful (and tasteful) photos of parents to be.  I am really excited about it and I think it will be a great way to remember this awesome time in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment