Friday, March 11, 2011

39-Weeks

My mom was here visiting us this past weekend, and despite all of our crossed fingers and prayers, Little E did not make his debut during her visit.  Although we are still waiting on the little guy, it was wonderful to have my mom here for a couple of days.  The most exciting thing about her visit was that she brought the finishing touches for the nursery, a reupholstered antique rocker that belonged to my grandmother and a frame that a family friend made for us.  Both turned out beautifully and helped to make the nursery even more adorable.  I have to say that I absolutely LOVE the way E's nursery turned out!  It is PERFECT!!  I find myself walking in there all the time just to have a look around. 




While my mom was in town, she helped with running some final errands and cooking one of my favorite meals.  I was so happy to have her here for a couple of days and I know Brad enjoyed having someone else around to take care of me too.  Unfortunately, while my mom was here, I had one of my not-so-graceful moments.  On Sunday afternoon, I slipped while walking down the stairs in our house.  I slid down the last five or six stairs on my butt and landed with a bang at the bottom.  For those of you who know the story of me falling down the stairs the first time Brad cooked dinner for me, it was a lot like that, only I'm nine months pregnant and I fell further this time.  I was initially terrified and was in a lot of pain for a couple of days, but thankfully Everett and I are both doing just fine.  Since my mom left on Tuesday afternoon, I've enjoyed a few days off, working on a couple of little projects around the house, or as Brad likes to call it, "nesting."

Yesterday we had our 39-week check-up and I flew solo again.  I saw Christine, one of the midwives at OBGYN of Atlanta.  Christine is great and I would be perfectly happy if she were to deliver the little guy.  After a quick exam, Christine informed me that I am now 1 cm dilated and about 50% effaced.  While that isn't much progress, it is still progress, so I'm pretty happy about that.  I talked to Christine about all of the back pain and abdominal pressure that I've experienced lately, as well as my inability to sleep for more than about two hours at a time.  She listened to all of my complaints very patiently and then, in her very sweet way, pretty much told me to just deal with it.  Before I left, we talked about plans for moving forward.  While I am still hoping that E arrives without assistance, we now have a plan for the off-chance that he doesn't.  If I have not naturally gone into labor by my 40-week appointment next Friday, we will make plans to induce labor, which means that, one way or another, we will be cuddling our sweet baby boy in roughly twelve days or less!  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Allie, I'm so sorry about your fall. I'm glad all is well. We had an early dismissal day yesterday, so, of course, we had to go to the PC for a meeting. So many people asked about you.

    ReplyDelete